Manage Business Unit in Marketing Cloud
Business Units in Marketing Cloud are separate work spaces within an organization’s Marketing Cloud account, that allow different team members or departments within the same organization to manage their data and marketing functions independently while enabling the sharing of common assets (such as branded templates) with ease.
Business Units are created in a hierarchy. The main Business Unit which was placed at the top of the hierarchy, namely Parent Business Unit, and the sub-Business Units created under the parent unit, namely Child Business Units. These children, in turn, can have their own child nodes and so on.
The Parent Business Unit can serve as the headquarter for company X and can be reserved for the administrative purposes handled at the headquarter’s level. These admin activities include providing access to the users to their specific regional Child Business Units, storing the company branded templates in the Parent Business Unit’s shared folders and the common subscriber data in shared Data extensions.
How to create Business Unit:
1. Navigate to Setup in Marketing Cloud.
2. Click Business Units
3. Click The Create To Get Started
4. Define the name, description, and other properties for the business unit.
- We can customize the time zone and date format for the business unit, considering that, where the majority of that business unit’s users are working to choose something appropriate.
- Select the parent (top) level business unit for this new child business unit.
- Add the display name and address used as the default email address when sending emails from the business unit.
- Add a physical mailing address information that is included by default on emails from this business unit, as required by CAN-SPAM regulations.
- Select an option for Unsubscribe Settings. If a subscriber clicks the unsubscribe link from an email sent by this business unit, does it unsubscribe that person from only the business unit? Or from all business units within the enterprise account?
- Save your new business unit.
Add a User to a Business Unit
- Navigate to Setup in Marketing Cloud.
- Click Users for who you want to give the access to Business Unit
- Select the user and click Manage Business Units to add a user to a business unit. (Tip: You can select multiple users to assign to business units in batches, rather than updating individually.)
- Select a default business unit for the user.
- Assign the user to business units.
- Save your changes.
View all users in Business Unit
In Marketing Cloud Setup, click Business Units. Select the checkbox next to a business unit and click View Users.